Running after your kids to protect them from bodily issues are every parent’s problem these days. The eating habit and the lifestyle which kids are following are not up to the mark. The indulgence of unhealthy food in daily meals is the biggest of all. Every kid loves to eat burgers, pizzas, and a lot of unhealthy food daily and parents also prefer to feed them food that is easy to make and readily available. But because of this unhealthy lifestyle, kids are dealing with eyesight issues and now the question arises on how to improve eyesight in kids?
Is it easy? Is it reversible? and Is it possible to protect our kids from falling under this category? So the answer is, maybe yes and maybe not. The health of our kids entirely depends on lifestyle, eating habits, and genetics. The better we keep a balance in these things, the better the health will be. We are here not talking about genetics, as, if the parents are suffering from eyesight issues, then there are high chances of kids suffering from the same. But even if we cannot spare ourselves from that, we can delay the issue with a healthy lifestyle and eating habits.
Reasons Behind Eyesight Issues in Kids
There can be multiple reasons for the kid’s eyesight issues. Kids often do not understand the exact issue they are facing but their behavior and activities often show the underlying problem. When it comes to vision problems it can be of 3 main types. Nearsightedness and farsightedness along with astigmatism are the main refractive errors in children. All of them can be treated through spectacles.
So the main reasons behind the weak eyesight in a child are as follows:
- Nutrition Deficiency: Nowadays, kids prefer to eat junk foods over healthy foods. Due to the lack of healthy nutrients in their food, they tend to show signs in the form of vision issues.
- Due to the easy access to electronic devices like Mobile Phones, TV, iPad, kids indulge most of their time in front of the screen.
- Watching YouTube or rhymes on mobile phones is one of the most common practices these days. Parents generally teach on mobile phones instead of books. These create eye issues.
- Parents do not fix the time for watching the television at home which leads to longer screen time.
- Children do not live a disciplined life which leads to bodily issues. Their sleeping pattern fluctuates and they do not follow a properly fixed routine well.
- The biggest reason is, these days; parents are overprotective and over loving towards their kids. Due to this love, we often ignore what is best for our kids. We provide them whatever they ask for and this leads to stubbornness and indiscipline.
Sign of Eyesight Issues
Signs of eyesight issues can be varied. Kids show many signs when their eyesight is in trouble. Below mentioned are a few signs which can alert you about your kid’s eyesight problem.
- Consistently sitting too near a TV or keeping a book too close.
- Losing his place while reading or using a pointer to guide his eyes when reading.
- Squinting or tilting the head to see better.
- Constant eye rubbing.
- Sensitivity to light and/or unnecessary tearing.
- Closing one eye to read, watch TV, or see better.
- Avoiding activities that require near vision, such as reading or homework, or distance vision, such as participating in sports or other recreational activities.
- Complaining of headaches or tired eyes very often.
Foods To Improve Eyesight
Whether it is happening because of the deficiency or any other issue, weak eyesight and eye issues can become uneasy to manage. Eyes are a very sensitive part of our body, and taking care of that is extremely important. The best way to improve weak eyesight in kids is to maintain and consume a balanced diet that includes food rich in vitamins and minerals.
Below listed foods are highly suitable and a healthy option to improve a kid’s eyesight. Add these foods into your kid’s daily diet and see the magic happening. Let’s see what the list consists of –
You must have heard about the benefits of carrots for your eyes. But the science behind that is carrots are packed with Vitamin A, C, and B, which is an important source of benefits for our retina. It helps our eyes to stay moist and avoid dry eye issues. So add this into your kid’s salad or try carrot juice.
Citrus fruits like orange, lime, etc. are stuffed with Vitamin C. It protects our body from the damage caused by free radicals and also helps in repairing and growing to brand new cells. Try adding peaches, red bell pepper, tomato, orange, lemon, etc. into your kid’s diet.
Nuts and Seeds
All types of nuts and seeds are stuffed with the benefits of Vitamin A and E. They contain a high amount of antioxidants as well. Nuts and seeds like almonds, peanuts, and sunflower seeds are exceptionally rich in Vitamin E and help in improving vision.
Omega 3 fatty acids rich fishes are amazing to improve and maintain healthy eyesight. Eating cold-water fish, like salmon, tuna, sardines, etc, helps in improving our eyesight. For omega-3 fatty acids, you can also consume flax seeds.
Green Leafy Vegetables
Who doesn’t know the importance of green leafy vegetables? Green leafy vegetables like kale, spinach, lettuce, broccoli, and peas are packed with antioxidants as well as vitamins A, C, K, and folate and minerals like iron and calcium which protect our vision from damage.
Eggs aren’t just rich in vitamins A, D, B6, and B12, but also have plentiful quantities of lutein and zeaxanthin. What’s more, eggs are also stuffed with omega-3 fatty acids. So, when it comes to vision correction, eggs are quite the superfood.
Zinc protects our eyes from damage from light and ultraviolet rays and on the other hand copper helps in producing and circulating red blood cells through the arteries. Kidney beans are rich in both as well as protein, vitamin B, and others. Add this to your kid’s diet and protect their eyes.
Exercises For Eyes
1. Focus Change
This is a very well known exercise. Hold a pencil a few inches away from your eyes. Focus on your pencil. Slowly move your pencil far away, while maintaining the focus. Look away for a moment, into the distance, and repeat.
Repeat this exercise 2-3 times.
2. Near and Far Focus
This is another focus exercise. In this, hold a pencil 10 inches away from your face and focus on that. Then find another object roughly 10 to 20 feet away and focus there for 15 seconds. Then return your focus to the pencil and repeat this transitional exercise 5-6 times.
3. Figure Eight
Sit down on a chair about 10 feet away in front of a wall. Move your eyeballs while making an 8 figure on the wall. Keep tracing for 30 seconds and relax. Repeat this 4-5 times.
One of the most relaxing eye exercises is this one. Close your eyes and create a big circle by rotating the eyes. Do it clockwise and anti-clockwise for 15-20 times each.
5. Four Sides
This one is similar to the round-round one. In this, ask your child to open his eyes and rotate his eyes in all four directions. This will relax their eyes and circulate the blood flow. Repeat the exercise in both clockwise and anti-clockwise directions 10-15 times each.
Few More Tips On How To Improve Eyesight In Kids?
- Feed nutritious meals to your child which should include fruits, vegetables, nuts, fish, etc. Try to add foods that contain antioxidants and nutrients such as Vitamin C, E, Zinc, and Omega-3 fatty acid.
- Decrease the screen time of your child.
- Ask them to sit 10-15 feet away from the television.
- Protect your child’s eyes against sun damage. Make sure to use UV protected sunglasses outside.
- Encourage healthy eye care habits in your child.
- Make sure your child takes the necessary rest, after continuous watching of anything.
- Have your child’s eyes examined on a fixed interval, particularly during infancy and childhood?
It is crucial to take care of our kid’s eyes and mostly overall health from their childhood, due to the present way of living. We hope you loved all of the information mentioned in this post. Do not forget to share your views in the comment section below. Follow us for more such wonderful and helpful pieces.
For timely information on Child Health and Child Care issues, Subscribe to our Newsletter.
Feel free to join our Facebook community of beautiful & supportive moms where every mom shares their parenting experiences and suggestions.